Company Information: The University of Chicago Booth School of Business is the second-oldest school in the U.S. and second to none when it comes to influencing business education and business practices. Since 1898, the school has produced ideas and leaders that shape the world of business. Their rigorous, discipline-based approach to business education transforms students into confident, effective, respected business leaders prepared to face the toughest challenges.
Chicago Booth has the finest set of facilities of any business school in the world. Each of the four campuses (two in Chicago, one in London, and one in Hong Kong) reflects the architectural traditions of its environs while offering a state-of-the-art learning environment.
Chicago Booth is proud to claim:
– an unmatched faculty.
– degree and open enrollment programs offered on three continents.
– a global body of nearly 50,000 accomplished alumni.
– strong and growing corporate relationships that provide a wealth of lifelong career opportunities.
As part of the world-renowned University of Chicago, Chicago Booth shares the University’s core values that shape the distinctive intellectual culture. At Booth, they constantly question and test ideas, and seek proof. This extraordinarily effective approach to business leads to new ideas and innovative solutions. Seven of the Booth faculty members have won Nobel Prizes for these ideas – the first business school to achieve this accomplishment.
For more information about the University of Chicago Booth School of Business, please visit: http://www.chicagobooth.edu/
Position Title: Postdoctoral Research Professional in Machine Learning
Duties and Responsibilities: General Summary:
The Econometrics and Statistics group at the Booth School of Business of the University of Chicago invites applications for a Postdoctoral Research Professional. The postdoc will be working under the supervision of Dr. Mladen Kolar, but will have ample opportunities to collaborate with other members on the campus. The postdoc will be working on a project that will blend aspects of probabilistic graphical models, high-dimensional inference, and scalable optimization. Applications will include problems in neuroscience and social media analysis. The postdoc will also be given ample time to pursue his/her own research agenda and prepare for the academic job market.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Conduct research probabilistic graphical models and scalable optimization
2. Develop release quality code supporting new methodology
3. Perform benchmarking comparisons in synthetic and real-data exercises
4. Write and edit research documentation for potential publication
5. Create talks/posters and present findings at research conferences domestically and abroad
6. Prepare for a transition to faculty at a major research institution
Measurements of Success:
The postdoc is expected to be independently motivated to execute high quality research in a
collaborative environment. Success will be measured by the quality of deliverables (code, papers,
presentations) as judged by mentors and by the community at large. The goal is to gain valuable
experience through challenging projects along several dimensions: mathematics, methodology,
Position Qualifications: 1. Ph.D. in machine learning, statistics, computer science, econometrics, industrial engineering, or related field required. Ph.D. must be completed prior the start of employment.
2. Familiarity with probabilistic graphical models and related models from the machine learning and statistics literatures highly preferred.
3. Experience with developing optimization procedures preferred.
4. Command of a high-level programming language like Julia, Python, Matlab, or R preferred.
5. Experience with a compiled language supporting customizable data structures (C, C++) preferred.
6. Comfort in Unix (e.g., Linux or OSX Terminal) preferred.
7. Experience with LaTeX preferred.
8. Ability to work with both minimal supervision and collaboratively required.
9. Excellent verbal, written, and communication skills, in addition to proven organizational skills; ability to seek out, coordinate, and appropriately disseminate information required.
10. Ability to tackle multiple tasks concurrently and meet deadlines required.
11. Ability to follow directions and communicate clearly and effectively required.
Salary Range: Depends on qualifications
Application Information: Apply at
Contact Email: email@example.com