Company Information: Columbia University’s Department of Biomedical Informatics is recognized as one of the best and oldest programs of its kind in the world. Our large training program and diverse research fields consistently attract superb candidates for scientific careers.
Our big-picture goal is to improve health for society. At DBMI, we focus intently on discovery and impact: we develop new informatics methods, enrich the biomedical knowledge base, and enhance the health of the population.
In addition to our research interests, DBMI is also dedicated to serving the healthcare community, both locally and beyond. We provide more than $2 million in information technology services annually to New York-Presbyterian Hospital. The computing infrastructure we have developed serves as a living laboratory to explore and validate cutting-edge informatics research.
Position Title: Postdoctoral Research Scientist
Duties and Responsibilities: This opening is enabled by a couple of NIH funded research projects for analyzing electronic health records data for phenotype knowledge discovery and analytical methodology development. The ideal applicant is expected to work closely with the principal investigator Dr. Chunhua Weng to conduct research guided by the specific aims in the funded projects and disseminate results through quality publications and open-source algorithms.
Position Qualifications: Suitable postdoctoral applicants
1. Should hold a Ph.D. in Computer Science, Data Science, Biostatistics, Biomedical and Health Informatics, Information Science, or other quantitatively oriented population health fields; or an M.D. with a strong computational background;
2. Should be experienced with modern statistical analysis, data mining and machine learning methods
3. Should have had at least two peer-reviewed publications in related journals or conferences;
4. Foreign applicants should have excellent written and oral English communication skills
5. Should be able to visit NYC for interviews without requiring visa applications
6. Are preferred to have prior experience with data mining and large-scale data analy
Salary Range: >= $48,000 (2016-2017)
Benefits: Salary Range: http://www.columbia.edu/cu/vpaa/docs/MS_CUMC_ressal16.html
Application Information: *Letter of intent and CV: All applicants must submit a brief research statement, along with their CV and references to email@example.com with the subject line as “Postdoc Application.”
**Statement of objectives and goals:
Applicants should describe why they are interested in this opening. Please address interests and goals, related to (i) research and (ii) education, as well as relative priority you place on each of these as you envision your future career. The statement should describe career goals and career development plans for the postdoctoral training, including a) the skills, knowledge or certifications the applicant seeks to obtain; b) expected effects on career goals.
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Deadline: 03/31/2017